Rent Reduction Calculator
Published on 11/05/2020
We are proud to make this calculator available to people in NSW looking at negotiating rents. It's an unfamiliar process for many people, and it can be tricky working out what you can afford to agree to or what offer you should make!
The calculator lets you put in a range of information about your rent and income situation and then allows you to check what different scenarios of reduction including waiver of rent or deferral look like for you. It is important that you consider your ability to meet the arrangement both in the short term and later when you are paying back any deferred amount. It also contains reminders to consider potential financial hardship in agreements that do not leave you enough to cover amounts left over after rent that is required to be able to ensure enough food, utilities and other essentials for a healthy life.
You can seek tenancy advice from your local Tenants' Advice and Advocacy Service on this site or for financial advice speak to a Financial Counsellor.
- The file contains excel macros which are required for it to function. Please "enable editing" and "enable content" when prompted.
- Need excel? You can get a free trial from Microsoft here.
- The calculator may need a computer to run. We are working on a second version that will be more accessible. For now, people who don't have access to a computer can use this simplified version in mobile versions of excel or google sheets - get it here.
- The calculator is saved on your hard drive and TUNSW does not collect any information from it.
- We'd love to hear from you how you were able to use it!
This is the first version of the calculator and we will look to improve following your feedback.
For more on your rights during the crisis, see our Renters' Guide to COVID-19.
Share with your friends: